Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Take Your Pick


I pickled red onions for some tacos last week. And they were good on sandwiches. And it's the easiest thing I've done in a long time. And now I want to pickle ALL THE THINGS.

I used Martha's recipe which I don't have on hand right now, so we'll approximate:

Boil 1 cup of water. Throw some salt (1 teaspoon-ish), some sugar (1 tablespoon-ish), and some pickling spices (2 tablespoons-ish (I used Central Market's spice blend)) in the water. Pull it off the heat and add white vinegar (1/2 cup). Stuff your object de pickling in a jar, and pour your vinegar liquid to cover. Screw on the lid and let it get cool overnight.

It's good! and so versatile!

3 comments:

kendrick said...

Oh wow, I had no idea you could pickle something overnight... I figured it was more of a month or two type ordeal.

With that kind of instant gratification I wonder if I'll be the first person to try and pickle bacon? Surely not.

Jennifer said...

Dang, I wish I'd read this one day ago before I threw away 3/4 of a red onion.

Molly said...

i've been wanting to make home made pickles for ever....and now you've inspired me. shall i "pin" you?
:)