Thursday, November 12, 2009

Want to hear something gross?

Seriously, stop reading unless you want some intimate details.

Tuesday night, we had cumin-crusted salmon with just a hint of cinnamon for warmth, on a bed of balsamic and EVOO dressed spinach, and with roasted/carmelized butternut squash and shallots liberally crowning all of it. It was successful on three fronts: it incorporated our weekly ration of salmon in an original interpretation; it was fall-ish in the extreme; it was healthy to boot. I only say this because of what's to follow.

I thought this dinner was so good that I wolfed it all down in about 2 minutes until I realized that I was way full and something wasn't feeling right in my belly region. And actually, something hadn't been feeling right for the last few meals.

We had people coming over that night, so there was no time analyze. I just cleaned up, cut some Nutella cake, and restrained Lu as everyone arrived. As we're sitting and talking, I started realizing what was going to go down... um, or rather, up. I did not know these people thaaat well, and certainly not well enough to make a scene. Therefore, I did what I like to call "making my stomach submit." Long story short, everyone left, I tried to postpone the inevitable but soon realized there was only one thing that was going to make me feel better...

I will insert a plug for Hub here, Hub who gets fidgety when anyone mentions heartbeats or pulses or any sort of bodily anything. Hub stood behind me during the retching and comforted me like a champ. He got me water; he handed me my loaded toothbrush; he brought a trashcan for the side of the bed just in case; and he told me his favorite piece of advice for stomach ills, "Lay on your side." I don't know where he got this. I've never heard it from anyone else, but I think it works, so I do it.

I went home early from work yesterday and took two naps, one of which was two hours long, and we went to bed at 9:45 last night. So now, I'm mostly better, but recounting the whole thing has unfortunately made me a little queasy. And despite Hub not getting sick over the salmon, I don't think I will be putting it on the menu for quite some time. Thank you very much.

No comments: