Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Maple Syrup Scones


I've made scones a couple weekends lately. I love scones, but sometimes they can be a little crumbly. These scones weren't. I stole my recipe directly from Alton Brown, but the first time I made them I had to make a few substitutions because we didn't have everything his recipe required. Here's my adjusted recipe, but I also halved this to just serve two or three. I try not to make too many of them--scones don't improve with age.

FYI, that picture is just a stock scone shot, not my actual scones. I didn't add a drizzle, but I would imagine it would be tasty.

Ingredients

  • 2 cup flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1/4 cup cream (or milk or half-and-half)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
  • Pecans or walnuts
  • Extra melted butter for brushing on
  • Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening and toss in nuts if you're using them.

In a separate bowl, combine cream, sour cream, beaten egg, and syrup, and then add to dry ingredients.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. (I usually roll it into a thick flattened circle and then use a sharp knife to cut wedges.) Brush on melted butter. Sprinkle on your sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. Brush on more butter.

No comments: