Tuesday, August 24, 2010

C.P.P.


I did not grow up eating chicken pot pie. The only version I remember even seeing was a frozen dinner type variety. I always thought it was sorta suspicious looking. What was even under that crust, swimming in that creamy sauce? The crust looked good, but I was sure that it was there just to hide some kind of vegetal nastiness. It seemed like a trick to me.

But I'm coming around. I've been curious about chicken pot pie, and yesterday I saw the Barefoot Contessa episode where she makes a lobster pot pie. Now, seeing that we do not live in East Hampton and are not millionaires, we will be sticking to chicken, but I liked what I saw in her method.

This is how I'm going to approach it:

1. Saute leeks, carrots, and celery in absurd amount of butter for 10 minutes or so.
2. Add flour to make a roux of sorts and cook off the raw flour taste.
3. Add chicken broth, white wine, and s&p and simmer down for 5 minutes. Add cream.
4. Mix in frozen peas, roasted chicken breast chunks, thyme, and parsley.
5. Pour into receptacle(s), top with pastry dough that's been egg washed and coarse salted, cook on 375 for an hour or so.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: