Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Remember These!


Homesick Texan has a recipe for seasoned oyster crackers that I, too, remember eating when I was younger, and they are indeed incomprehensibly, embarrassingly addictive. I think it was a recipe that was passed around our neighborhood and church because I remember my mom citing someone down the street (who had some wild kids that I babysat once or twice but looking back I was only about two years older than the oldest) as the benefactor. For some reason, Mom stored ours in the freezer... maybe she made such a huge batch that they had to be put away, but regardless, I certainly remember sneaking into the big freezer to snatch a handful whenever a craving materialized. "Bay-eth! You better get out of that freezer right now! I'm saving those for the Fourth of July at the lake! Now get back in here and do those dishes!" I will confess those little crackers are just as good cold and frozen... maybe seasoned even further with the illicit allure.

I even tried to make something similar for our New Year's party this year, but I couldn't find this recipe, which is what I really wanted. The alternative recipe disappointed and only resulted in me wanting these even more. Here's Homesick Texan's recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pkg. 12-14 oz. oyster crackers
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/2 tsp fresh dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1 pkg. ranch dressing, original (do not use low fat!)

Method:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Mix oil with herbs and spices
Put crackers in a 9 x 13 inch pan
Pour oil and herb mixture over crackers, gently stir
Cook in oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally

2 comments:

kawooten said...

I'd forgotten about these! If you make some and don't have room for them all, I have two freezers - heh, heh, heh ;}

Molly said...

i love love love those crackers. like could eat them ALL in one sitting!!